CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 16: It's All About Jack


Would you just look at this little guy? I mean how stinking cute is he? I'm not going to lie, he has me wrapped around his little finger, just in case you couldn't figure that one out on your own. My little man turned 2 today. I know I say that I love the new born phase, and the little baby phase, and I do, I love them. But honestly, I don't know if it is just his semi-defiant personality or his tender little loves, but this boy at the age of 2 is possibly in my favorite stage of growing up. Oh he so has melted my heart.

One of my favorite things about Jack right now is how he continually surprises me with little things that he is learning everyday. He has had most of his colors down for the last couple of months, but today when I asked him what color his orange sippy cup was (a color we have never worked on, and he's always called yellow), he just out and said "Orane". I wish I could say he is a baby genius, or that I'm doing a spectacular job as a mom, but really, I'm pretty sure it is Lucy that deserves the credit. She is such a little perfectionist that it drives her nuts when Jack doesn't get something right and she is constantly correcting him.

Jack was one excited little boy when we told him he was two years old today. We kept asking him how old he was, and he'd always answer "One!" first, and then follow it up with a very excited "TWO!!!" Cute little bug. He's also decided that he is now old enough to say prayers at the dinner table, something we have been trying to get him to do for the last month or so. I LOVE the way that he squints his little eyes and talks in a soft high squeaky voice when he is praying. Ok, to be honest, I just wish I could catch every second of this little guy's life these days on film. I just want to freeze him exactly how he is, the way he jumps around hardly leaving the ground, his clumsy tumbles he has ten times a day, how he can't talk about football or sports without grunting ("football, UAHHHH!"), or the way he talks with pauses between his word in the cutest places (example: "I (small pause) love you too (longer pause) mommy"). I love my little boy, and I'm so happy that he is in our family, we'd be way too boring without him here.

Jack helped me make cupcakes for his birthday today, which were delicious! We did his big Lightening McQueen cake on Saturday at grandma's house, so cupcakes were all we needed today. We still sang to him, which he loved so much that he joined in and sang to himself. He successfully blew out his two candles, with so much pride. Then he tackled his presents. This little guy is set on power tools for a while, and he LOVES them, almost as much as his dad loves him having some man toys around here so he'll lay off the barbies.

Jack also got this Lightening McQueen hat, kind of by accident. On Monday I took the kids to the mall to pick out a new hat for Shawn for Valentines day. We walked into the hat store, picked out the one we liked, and then as I was buying it, Jack spotted this bright red beauty. As a mom I personally can't stand cartoon characters on anything but underwear or pajamas. I don't know why, and no offense to anyone, but I find them to be tacky on shirts, shoes, pants, or anything else where they draw a lot of attention. Well, first Jack yanked this hat off the shelf beside himself at what he had found. Then he started throwing a public tantrum to try it on. So I let him try it on. When I realized how excited he was about a Lightening McQueen hat, I tried to talk him into the nice gray one with a much smaller, not so distractingly vibrant picture on the front. Jack however was having nothing of it. So, he looked at me and took off out of the store. Yes, my no-even-quite-two year old son shop lifted the Lightening McQueen hat. So, I turned to the checker and told him we'd take that one, he rang it up, and I chased after my son before I came back and paid.

After that, we went to the play place at the mall and I have to admit, with such a bold hat on his head, it was really easy to pick Jack out of the crowd of kids. I was probably 50% embarrassed by the hat, and 50% in love with Jack's determined dedication to it as I sat and watched him play. I almost took the hat back, but I decided that I should just let my little guy be a little boy because I couldn't break his heart by taking the amazing hat back, not after his eyes got so big when he discovered it, and definitely not after he shop lifted it. So I wrapped it up and gave it to him again today, and he was just as excited as he was the moment he decided to commit his first crime on its behalf.

So at the end of my day, I just feel so lucky to have such a strong, bold, confident and courageous little guy in my heart. Hopefully I can keep him on the right track in the years to come, even if his current record as a law abiding citizen isn't too promising. Happy Birthday Jack! I love you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment