CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 3: The Potty Training Journey Begins

My day started early this morning. My little angel woke up ready to eat at about 5:30. Once she was fed and happily returned to dream land, I laid down more than happy to join her in that glorious place. But you know the drill, once you just start to drift off, one of the other kids senses a relaxing mom and takes that as their que to start calling for attention.

It was 6am when I heard Jack crying from his room. He has been waking up at about 6:30 every morning, much to my disdain, but 6! Now that is just flat out unacceptable. So I went in to give him his "eye-yi" (aka pacifier) and tell him to go back to sleep, a technique that has saved me many a morning. As I opened his door, I realized that not only was he crying, but he was saying through his tears "Poo poo owies!" Then I smelled it, and my emotions instantly went from annoyance to heart ache for my little boy.

Before I went to bed last night I walked into his room to make sure he was covered and smelled a stinky diaper. As I walked over to his bed I noticed a dirty diaper on the floor and assumed this was the source of the smell. I tossed the diaper out and shut the door for the night, but it never even occurred to me that Jack might actually be stinky. Can you say guilt trip? Because that is exactly what I was experiencing as I tried to strap my little guy down and clean his poor bottom which was slightly crusted over. The little guy was screaming so loud that he woke up Lucy in the other room who started yelling at him to go back to sleep because it was too early. Amazingly, but not surprisingly, his cries failed to wake up his father, also sleeping just across the hall.

After comforting my little guy for several minutes and telling him I was so sorry, I gave him his eye-yi and laid him back down. He was happy to go back down (even though he never fell back asleep), and I told him we'd give him a nice bubble bath as soon as everyone was awake, which we did about an hour later. I then spent the rest of my day talking up the importance of using the potty, and explaining the cause of diaper rash as best as I could to a not quite 2 year old boy, we even went shopping for a little boy potty seat since our pink one just won't cut it. Hey, I've gotta start some time, and he is more than interested since he is constantly watching his big sister, and she was completely potty trained by his age, but she was also a girl. I've got a fun year ahead of me, but I think I'll start trying to break the ice to him over the next couple of weeks. Get excited for many potty talking points in the future!

0 comments:

Post a Comment